So, the the Technician has completed the install of your roof equipment, and you've got a pretty wall port in your home, ready to pass gigabytes of data throughout the day and night, great! Welcome to the family!
But how do you setup the Huawei Router that you purchased with your service?
Well you're in the right place!
We'll cover the following in this guide:
- Connecting cables
- How to log into your Huawei HG659 router
- Setting up your Uniti Fixed Wireless service
- Setting up your WiFi network
HG659 Cable Setup
Cabling for a Uniti Fixed Wireless Services.
- Use your supplied Ethernet cable to connect the blue WAN port on the router to your PoE (Power over Ethernet Injector)
- Ensure that the PoE Injector is connected to the wall plate via the supplied black ethernet cable, going from the POE labelled port to the Uniti installed wall plate.
- Connect another Ethernet cable to one of the four yellow LAN ports on the back of the router. Connect the other end of the cable to your computer's network port, or alternatively via wireless using the default wireless details located on the read of the router.
- Connect the included power supply to the power port on the back of the router, and plug it into a 240v power outlet.
- Connect the included power adaptor to the PoE injector and plug it into a 240v power outlet.
- Switch on the Router and PoE power injector.
Setting up your Fixed Wireless Service with your HG659
- Make sure that your computer is connected to your router with an Ethernet cable.
- Open your preferred web browser - for example, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Enter the following number into the address bar and then hit Enter on your keyboard:
- 192.168.1.1 (this number is called an IP Address).
|Figure 3: Entering the IP address to access the router|
- The modem's Log In page will open and you will be asked for a username and password.
|This is the router's default username and password.
We recommend that you change the password for security reasons, but please keep note of it to avoid difficulties logging in in the future.
- Click Log in to log into the router.
- The router will log in and display a welcome page.
- Click the blue Start Wizard section on the left of the screen to start the setup wizard.
- Click Connect with user account to bring up the manual login settings.
- Enter your Uniti username into the Internet account field, for example: username@unitiair
NOTE: If your username does not include @unitiair you will be unable to connect.
- Enter your Uniti password into the Password field
- Click Save to continue the wizard.
- The wizard will test the Internet connection.
- Click Try WLAN to change your WiFi settings, or Finish to end the wizard.
Your router has two default WiFi networks set up - one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz WiFi. If you would like to use the default settings, you can find the network names and passwords on the back of your router.
To use the default WiFi settings, simply do not change any settings and click Save. Otherwise, follow the instructions listed in this guide.
- If you selected Try WLAN in the last step, the wizard will move on to WiFi setup.
- If you don't want to use the 2.4 GHz WiFi, click the switch next to 2.4 GHz to turn it Off.
- If you do want to use the 2.4 GHz WiFi, make sure the 2.4 GHz switch is turned on, and create a name for your 2.4 GHz wireless network. Enter this name into the WLAN 2.4 GHz SSID field.
- If you don't want to use the 5 GHz WiFi, click the switch next to 5 GHz to turn it Off.
- If you do want to use the 5 GHz WiFi, make sure the 2.4 GHz switch is turned on, and create a name for your 5 GHz wireless network. Enter this name into the WLAN 5 GHz SSID field.
Creating a network name (SSID)
Your network name is used to identify your wireless network. This is particularly useful if there are other wireless networks around.
Because your network name will be visible outside of your home or office, the name should be recognisable but should not use any personal or service details.
- Bad Network Names:
JonesFamily, JohnSmith, 1JohnStreet, Uniti, default, your Uniti username, your router's name.
- Good Network Names:
Wireless Network, Wireless, Homewifi, PurpleMonkeyDishwasher (be creative!)
- Once you have created a name for your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi, you'll need to create a password that will be used to access your wireless networks. Type your password into the Password field.
Creating a Pre-shared Key (Wireless Password)
A Pre-shared key prevents people you don't know from accessing your wireless network. When you connect your computers to your wireless network, you will be asked for the pre-shared key. If someone tries to connect without the pre-shared key, they will be unable to connect.
Your pre-shared key:
- must have a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters
- is case sensitive
- should never be the same as your Uniti account password
We recommend you create a complex password for your pre-shared key.
- The Huawei HG659 will show a diagram, displaying what is connected to your router. You may simply close the browser window at this point.
Congratulations! You have successfully configured your router to connect to the Internet.
Need Further Assistance?
If you are having trouble setting up your router, or would like to clarify some of the steps, please contact our Support Team